The Board of Directors is pleased to announce that the Association is now a non-profit organization, which represents an important first step in the pursuit of its activities and the achievement of its objectives. This Association is yours and your membership is essential!
This year, you will notice two changes to the membership requirements. Firstly, over the past few years, water analysis results from our lakes have revealed significant contamination sites for fecal coliform, phosphorus and Eurasian water milfoil. We invite you to consult the English summary of the OBV-RPNS Master Plan on our website. Our lakes are weakened from an environmental point of view and we must take the necessary measures to prevent them from becoming even more fragile. For this reason, the Board intends to proceed this summer, with the help of OBV-RPNS, to targeted water tests of these sites which will be sent for analysis to an accredited laboratory, H2LAB in Sainte-Agathe. The protection of our lakes will therefore require an additional investment from the Association which will be reflected in the price of your membership. In fact, the membership fee remains at $40 but no longer includes a fecal coliform (FC) water test at your residences as in previous years. This test was performed by a non-accredited laboratory, which made the results uncertain. Since this is a health risk issue related to swimming and/or drinking water, the Association now offers, if you request it, a single test for the measurement of FC carried out by the accredited laboratory H2LAB. The cost of this test is higher than before, but the results are certified. The Association also offers you the possibility of having other types of water tests performed by H2LAB including water potability tests. See for the choices at the laboratory’s website: https://boutique.h2lab.ca/collections You must identify on the membership form the test(s) you wish to take and pay for it with your membership fee. A receipt will be issued.
The bottles for the tests will probably be handed out on the weekend of the General Assembly of members in July. – To be confirmed.
We are therefore enclosing the membership form to be completed and sent, ideally no later than April 30th, either by email or by mail, according to the instructions on the form. Annual membership is valid from May 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022.
Second change, the criteria for becoming a member has been clarified in the Association’s by-laws and from now on, there will be voting members i.e. with waterfront address, and non-voting members:
- 3.1 Voting Member – Voting membership in the Association shall be open to any individual of legal age who owns or co-owns a residence bordering or having legal access to Beaven Lake, Little Beaven Lake, the tributary known as Swails Corner at the north end of Beaven Lake and Round Lake. Any such individual must provide proof of address of residence (waterfront address) if required by the Board and must pay annual dues in order to become a member. There shall be only one voting member per waterfront address. Each Voting Member shall be entitled to one (1) vote at meetings of members.
- 3.2 Non-Voting Member – Non-Voting Membership in the Association shall be open to any individual of legal age, not qualified under Section 3.1 to be a Voting Member of the Association, who is interested in and supportive of the mission and objects of the Association. Any such individual must provide proof of residence address if required by the Board and pay annual dues in order to become a member. Each non-voting member shall be entitled to attend and speak at meetings of the members but shall not be entitled to vote.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF JOINING THE ASSOCIATION?
- A group committed, on your behalf, to protecting the health and environment of our lakes and their tributaries
- Rigorous environmental monitoring of their water quality through bio-marine testing and analysis
- Rigorous environmental monitoring of Eurasian water milfoil and other aquatic invasive species
- A strong and unified voice representing you to municipal councils and other organizations
- Water quality testing at your homes managed by the Association
- Social events such as Family Day and the Peel & Bake Campfire
- Regular updates on issues affecting our lakes and their environment
- Encourage your neighbors to join the Association!
WELCOME TO ALL. THANK YOU FOR JOINING THE ASSOCIATION!
The entire Board of Directors team
P.J. AlBeRo membership form